(The Power of Silence by Carlos Castaneda)
(…) the mastery of awareness, which was the cornerstone of his teachings, and which
consist of the following basic premises:
1. The universe is an infinite agglomeration of energy fields, resembling threads of light.
2. These energy fields, called the Eagle’s emanations, radiate from a source of inconceivable
proportions metaphorically called the Eagle.
3. Human beings are also composed of an incalculable number of the same threadlike energy
fields. These Eagle’s emanations form an encased agglomeration that manifests itself as a
ball of light the size of the person’s body with the arms extended laterally, like a giant
4. Only a very small group of the energy fields inside this luminous ball are lit up by a point of
intense brilliance located on the ball’s surface.
5. Perception occurs when the energy fields in that small group immediately surrounding the
point of brilliance extend their light to illuminate identical energy fields outside the ball.
Since the only energy fields perceivable are those lit by the point of brilliance, that point is
named “the point where perception is assembled” or simply “the assemblage point.”
6. The assemblage point can be moved from its usual position on the surface of the luminous
ball to another position on the surface, or into the interior. Since the brilliance of the
assemblage point can light up whatever energy field it comes in contact with, when it
moves to a new position it immediately brightens up new energy fields, making them
perceivable. This perception is known as seeing.
7. When the assemblage point shifts, it makes possible the perception of an entirely different
world – as objective and factual as the one we normally perceive. Sorcerers go into that
other world to get energy, power, solutions to general and particular problems, or to face
8. Intent is the pervasive force that causes us to perceive. We do not become aware because
we perceive; rather, we perceive as a result of the pressure and intrusion of intent.
9. The aim of sorcerers is to reach a state of total awareness in order to experience all the
possibilities of perception available to man. This state of awareness even implies an
alternative way of dying.
A level of practical knowledge was included as part of teaching the mastery of awareness. On
that practical level don Juan taught the procedures necessary to move the assemblage point. The
two great systems devised by the sorcerer seers of ancient times to accomplish this were:
dreaming, the control and utilization of dreams; and stalking, the control of behavior.
Moving one’s assemblage point was an essential maneuver that every sorcerer had to learn.